Stop what you are doing, and go buy some 1/2 and 1/2 and some chili-garlic paste (probably in the oriental section of your grocery store).
- 7 cups of water
- Vegetable bullion enough for 8 cups
- 5 large Yukon gold potatoes (could use Russets if so inclined)
- 2 heads (bulbs) of garlic (about 20-25 cloves)
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of 1/2 and 1/2
- 2 Tablespoons of butter (softened)
- 1 heaping teaspoon of chili-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon of salt
Start heating the water with the bullion cubes.
Add the potatoes diced to 1/2" cubes. Peel them or not. I usually peel at least half of them.
Add the garlic grated very fine or pressed with garlic press.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes
Add the milk.
Purée with an immersion blender (or carefully in batches in a counter-top blender).
Turn off the heat.
Add the 1/2 and 1/2 and the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine.
Try not to hurt yourself slurping it down. Recommended: a loaf or two of nice crusty bread to dip in the soup.